Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving in Riyadh

Dear friends,

As you might imagine, Thanksgiving is not recognized nor celebrated in Riyadh even within the expat community. Though to be expected. the dearth of Thanksgiving announcements (buy your 20-pound turkey while they're still available at Giant), no Black Friday sales, etc. has been one of the reminders that I'm not in Kansas (well, somewhat east of there...) any more, Toto. Though it was rumored that a faux Thanksgiving-day dinner was being offered at the dahntahn Marriot, the idea of passing turkey legs, stuffing and cranberry relish around a table of expat strangers didn't exactly warm my heart - though if someone knows how to FAX me a slice of pumpkin pie that would be much appreciated! It will of course be the holidays that will be most difficult in terms of separation from my dear family and friends but that's the cost of doing business in remote corners of the world.

Channeling my favorite weather guy and friend Jon Burnett, the weather here today on Thanksgiving is lovely, sunny and COOL and this follows two days of actually chilly weather (or seems so now that I became acclimated to the Saudi dry heat of October). One day was completely overcast, presented a few drops of rain, was windy and (to me) uncomfortably cool, probably in the high 50s/low 60s. Interestingly enough, all my Saudi colleagues were raving about the great weather and the outdoor patio garden where I usually take my lunch was crowded to over-flowing but I retreated indoors. I wonder if they would be as enthusiastic about a mid-January taste of Buffalo or Cleveland?  My expat mentors tell me that caps, gloves and overcoats are required for at least several weeks in January/February. A though I still find this difficult to believe, I expect to be heading to the blue-light special at the Ramez for my mittens and scarf soon enough.

My primary purpose in posting today, however, was to wish all of you a rewarding, relaxing and renewing Thanksgiving holiday. Though it risks falling into cliche territory ,I must admit that my daily experience in the Kingdom - in spite of the generosity and warmth of my Saudi colleagues, comfortable accommodations and benefits that will accrue longer term - reminds me of how thankful we should be every day for the blessings, freedom and opportunity we enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Wes, and blessings on the day--minimally recognized though it may be.

    BruceR

    ReplyDelete