Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Card from Riyadh

The day before the day before Christmas is warm and sunny here and the propects for a White Christmas in Riyadh are nill. In fact the prediction for December 25 is about 75-deg F the warmest day since October. So in many ways it will be strange to be spending this special holy season in SA. I will be skyping Christmas Day with Janet, Caitlin and Gwyn and celebrating with them around the tree and stockings (yes, we still maintain the tradition) virtually. I expect that the Armed Forces Network will be playing Christmas carols and perhaps even showing a yule log or two. I will be attending a Christmas dinner for the Western expats who haven't left for the holidays which I'm told will include a turkey with the trimmings. I politely refused an invitation to attend a filmed version of the Nutcracker on Christmas Eve, primarily because you've seen it once... etc.  Realizing that this sounds very Scrooge-like, my apologies but this old cultural chestnut never resonated with me. Now if it were Handel's Messiah, well that's another matter.

I have been preoccupied in a good way by priorities at work, including preparing an article for potential publication and leading a strategic planning effort - how's that for excitement! - and consequently have been neglecting my blog responsibilities. I intend to get back in the groove soon but want to wish all my blog buddies a restoring, most rewarding and blessed Christmas and Chanukah season.

God be with each of you!

Wes

2 comments:

  1. Blessings in this Christmastide, and in the New Year ahead --

    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still trying to post messages, Wes, and I hope this one comes through. Hope your Saudi Christmas is memorable in many good ways. Will miss you around the St. Andrew's festivities and services.

    ReplyDelete