Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tea Shack (!)

Across from my shuttle bus stop is what I've referred to as a tea shack, a square tent open on one side facing the Yamama III compound road and entrance. Since it's about a city block from the bus stop - and considering my best eye is about 20/40 corrected - the only thing I can see inside the tent from that vantage point are one or two men usually sitting on either side of a table. Not until recently, did I see one of the men leave the shack wearing camoflauge desert colors of the Saudi National Guard. Well, my eyes were opened wide later that day when I caught a ride home from campus with a physician expat who had use of the company car. When entering the compound all vehicles are stopped, ID checked and the trunk and hood are opened to do a routine check for explosive devices. This follows a zigzag course of entry established by jersey barriers placed at diagonals. In discussing the onerous nature of this security, my new friend pointed toward the "tea shack", saying "Well, that's Plan B if a bad guy gets past gate security." Although the guys in the tea shack may well be enjoying tea or more likely Arabic coffee to while away the time on duty in the heat of the day, their main responsibility is to operate if necessary and maintain the military submachine gun(s) mounted in the tent!

So I felt both embarrassment at my missing the point and an added increment of relief on the security front mixed with another reminder that "Toto, we really aren't in Kansas, not to mention, the 'Burgh, any more, not even close!

Well, another day in the desert - another lesson learned...

Wes

1 comment: