Thursday, May 3, 2012

While some like it hot...

The past week and weeks ahead will test this proposition. The five day forecast runs like this:
102 F, 107F, 103F, 105F, 104 F - and this is just the beginning of the summer. I'm told by expat long-timers that this has been an especially wet and cool "spring" (only 80s and 90s in April) and a delayed summer. I do prefer the heat to cold weather in general and the low humidity does make it more bearable. Yet it still takes some adjustment stepping out from the A/C comfort of the villa or office into the blazing sun, an experience like running into a wall of particulate-infused heat. You do adjust to it by moving more slowly and hydrating regularly is a requirement. What has suprised me is how much of a toll it takes on my energy reserves. I have decided to retire from running at least for the summer both because of the risk of heat stroke and the wear on my joints of the mercilessly hard road surface - no grass beyond a few decorative patches. That the compound has both indoor and outdoor swimming pools and a fitness center is a blessing. At this point I cannot imagine the experience of 120-125 F but I will learn to cope with it soon enough!

1 comment:

  1. Folks were worried here in Pittsburgh about the Marathon this Sunday, but the forecast now is for a start in the low 60's, up to mid-70's by noon. A little warm, but workable. I ran one in the late 90's I think, 70 at 8 a.m. and mid-80's by noon. Runners were dropping like flies. So you hang in there on the treadmill, and crank up the AC . . . .

    BruceR

    ReplyDelete